Obsession: Modern Fabric

Sewing gives me anxiety. Unlike Kaitlin, who can whip up perfect baby quilts and make her own clothes, I can't sew a button onto a shirt (really, I can't). A sewing machine might as well be a rocket ship when it comes to my ability to operate it.

But even though I have no natural skill when it comes to the textile arts, I do love fabric. When my pro-quilter sister-in-law Vanessa recently came for a visit, we hit a quilting store with loads of gorgeous modern designs and spent a couple hours picking out fabrics for a new quilt Vanessa is making just for me (how lucky am I?!).

If you're a seamstress (or know someone who is), here are four designers who make fabric that's anything but frumpy.

Cotton + Steel
A cult favorite, Cotton + Steel works with trendy designers to create lines any hipster would swoon over. Their lines usually all work together, making it easy to be a print-mixing master.

Cotton + Steel

Parson Gray
These fabrics have a folksy, world-traveler vibe while still remaining completely modern.

Parson Gray

Amy Butler
Amy Butler uses bold color palettes and lots of organic patterns to create happy graphic prints.

Amy Butler
Tula Pink
Tula Pink fabric doesn't take itself too seriously: it's funky, whimsical, and totally magical.

Tula Pink

I can't wait to share my quilt when it's ready. What sewing projects do you have in the works?

2 comments:

  1. Ashley I'm with you. I make my mom do all my quilts. I simply send her the fabric.

    I usualy ask Kaitlin for help with my sewing projects. She gets so frustrated with me that she takes over and does it herself (thats exactly what I hope for). Like with Avery's amazing Dorothy costume. True friendship!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I'm not alone in my fear of sewing! And I loved that Dorothy costume...so cute!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...