Blooming Boots


Hunter boots are a must-have in my closet. I love how durable they are and how well they manage to keep my feet dry despite the wet weather I live in. They're made of high-quality rubber that doesn't crack or warp. The only downside to that top notch material is that it..."blooms." Or at least that's what the guy at Nordstrom called it. The process makes a powdery substance appear on the rubber that can't easily be washed off. He did say that if (and when) that happened, Hunter made a magical solution that would bring my boots back to their original glory.
So after a year or so of wear and tear, I went to take my boots out for the cold weather and there was the infamous powdery bloom which had come out on my boots. I made a note to pick up some cleaner at Nordstrom on my next visit. The problem is, when I'm at Nordy's there are so many other pretty things that distract me from getting boring cleaning solution. I tried to look online to see if there was anything I could do and found the perfect solution. Olive oil! It sounds weird, I know, but the process is super simple.

1. Wash your boots with mild soap and water.
2. Allow to dry completely. (The boot on the left is after this step.)
3. Put a small amount (1/2 tsp.) of olive oil on soft cloth and rub into the rubber.

And that's it! Your boots will be as good as new and ready for plenty of puddle jumping.

6 comments:

  1. No way!!! I can't wait to try that! Our hunter boots looks so loved, but sad after trudging through mud and chicken poop every day. I always want to wear them to pumpkin patches or out as part of my outfit but they just look so dingy. This is seriously on my "to-do" list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was so excited to find a way to make them functional and still fashionable. They're too cute to let go to waste. Hope it works well!

      Delete
  2. I am definitely try that! You should find a way to get rid of salt spots on leather for your next shoe hack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salt spots on leather...I like it. With all the snow and salt I'm sure a lot of people need a solution. I'm on it!

      Delete
  3. Love the boots. It looks like olive oil really improved the look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Auraleen! It's amazing what a little oil can do, huh? I was definitely impressed!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...