Date Night: Christmas Tree Picnic

yummy picnic food

Everyone looks good in the glow of Christmas lights. Which is just one reason why you should schedule a picnic date under your tree ASAP. Other reasons include eating blocks of fancy cheese for dinner and having a reasonable excuse to buy acorn-fed Iberian ham.

I originally planned a Christmas Tree Picnic as a family activity but after five tantrums and nearly as many timeouts in the hour leading up to dinner, a sans-toddler picnic suddenly sounded much more appealing and a stay-in date night idea was born. (Although I do envision this as a delightful family tradition in later years...because kids get so much easier, right? Someone please tell me that’s right.)

Anyways, it ended up being a lovely evening for two under (or next to) the fragrant and shed-prone boughs of our Grand Fir. Our favorite Ikea rug (which I think at least six of my friends also own) stood in for a blanket and our fake wood floors made a nice fake field.

christmas tree

For the menu, I went simple and easy...almost no actual cooking required. I bought everything at my favorite little gourmet grocery. It’s this place called Trader Joe’s. Have you heard of it?

cheese tray

Cheese tray: Saint-Andres Brie (let sit at room temperature for a few hours for the best flavor), Parmigiano Reggiano, Vermont Cheddar, and the aforementioned jamon iberico

crudite platter

Crudite platter: baby bell peppers, radishes, snap peas, and crostini (see how easy these are to make) with romesco sauce (love this recipe) and lemon ricotta (get the recipe here)

avocado and orange salad

Salad: arugula with orange, avocado, and almonds with a quick dressing (whisk together ¼ cup of orange juice with a ¼ cup of olive oil)

Drinks: Grapefruit sparkling soda (in fancy glasses, of course)

We are always on the lookout for great date ideas. What are your favorite holiday date night traditions? Please share!

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea! My husband and I like to watch back to back Christmas movies on Christmas Eve once our daughter goes to sleep. Life is so busy that it's nice to have some extra easy time together. Your idea seems like another easy idea that wouldn't take a lot of time and planning. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your movie watching tradition, Kylie. I agree--I love holiday traditions that feel special but take almost no effort to pull together.

      Delete
  2. Love this idea and of course I love your food ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...