5 Tips for a Better Run

5 tips for a better run

I’ve been running for a long time and as much as I love the endorphin rush at the end of a run, sometimes the run itself can get a little boring, especially if my route choices are limited by where I can safely push a running stroller the size of a small car. If you feel the same, here are five ideas to get out of a running rut and make the most of your workout.

Add Intervals
I’ve always liked the idea of doing intervals—short bursts of speed interspersed with a normal pace—since they’re supposed to be a great way to increase endurance. However, trying to time myself while pushing said stroller and wrangling a 70-pound lab is nearly impossible; I usually just give up and run at my regular pace.

I’ve recently discovered a new app that does the work for me. Running for Weight Loss (by Grinasys Corporation; free with ads) provides an 8-week interval training program that you can tailor to your fitness level. As you run, it tells you what to do—run for 4 minutes, now sprint for 30 seconds, now walk for a minute, etc. It’s like having a personal running coach. And it actually works. After a couple weeks of interval runs, I’ve noticed that I’m running significantly faster on normal runs.

Warm Up and Cool Down
I used to start running the second I stepped out my door and not stop until I got back home. I’ve now started giving myself a quarter mile warm-up and cool-down. The warm-up helps my body prepare for the workout, but the cool down is even more important. By giving my heart rate time to recover, I return home feeling energized rather than exhausted.

Get Outside
If you’re always running on a treadmill, I think you’re missing half of what makes running a great way to decompress. Soaking up fresh air and natural beauty is as refreshing to my mind as running is to my body. I’ve found that if you dress appropriately, the weather really doesn’t matter (ice and snow being the two exceptions). Plus, I guarantee that if you run in a rainstorm, you’ll feel pretty hardcore by the time you’re done.

To get the full benefit of running outside, try to really focus on your surroundings. I recently read a tip to consciously note both the smallest thing (tree leaves, budding flowers, blades of grass) and biggest thing (mountains, a gorgeous sunrise) you find beautiful. If nothing else, no matter where you run, the sky is always awe-inspiring.

Buy the Best Shoes
On the dressing appropriately note, good shoes are essential. Running is overall an incredibly cheap hobby, so do yourself a favor and invest in a pair of shoes that really fit your feet. For our Seattle readers, stop by Super Jock ‘N Jill in Redmond or Green Lake. The employees watch you run and then recommend shoes that match your gait. With each shoe, you run around the block to test for fit, and you have a full month to use the shoes to make sure they’re just right.

Change the Time
I have a favorite time of day to run in each season: early morning in summer, late afternoon in fall, mid-morning in winter and spring. Try several different times and notice how you feel with each one. While I do love morning runs, sometimes running just before dinner gives me the energy boost I need to make it through the witching hour with a toddler. Find the time that’s best for you.

I’d love to hear your tips and advice! How do you get the most out of running?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...