What's For Dinner? 3.2.15

Maybe it’s because I’m desperately craving a winter getaway, but my menu this week reflects a few of my favorite vacation spots. Whether fish tacos or pasta Bolognese, each of these dishes brings back happy memories of great meals in beautiful places.


Monday: Fish Tacos from Honest Cooking
There’s a fantastic fish taco place in Kauai called, simply enough, Island Taco. I still dream about the seared wasabi ahi tacos, but I think this version will satisfy my craving until I can make it back (fingers crossed).


Tuesday: Breakfast Pizza from Smitten Kitchen
My husband and I once spent a day driving up and down California’s magnificent Big Sur coast and stopped for a late dinner at Big Sur Bakery, a fantastic spot right on Highway 1. We loved the wood fired pizza and while I don’t have a wood burning oven (someday…), their breakfast pizza is totally doable at home. I’ll use store-bought dough to cut down on prep time.


Wednesday: Prosciutto-Arugula Panini from Italian Food Forever
One thing I found revelatory about Italy was the availability of fresh, inexpensive panini for lunch. On every corner, you can grab a delicious sandwich stuffed with perfectly salty meats, fresh cheeses, and happy greens, all drizzled generously with fruity olive oil. Instead of trying to stuff a million toppings into one sandwich, Italians keep it simple--and it works. My favorite version is prosciutto and arugula with fresh mozzarella. The tomato is optional in my book. Serve with Trader Joe’s sweet potato fries.


Thursday: Arroz Con Pollo
I ate this simple combination of rice and chicken nearly every day of our Costa Rican vacation and it never failed to satisfy. Every restaurant and home chef has their own unique version, but it’s usually served in a dome-shaped mound with a simple salad or French fries. I’ll use a rotisserie chicken for this recipe.


Friday: Penne Bolognese
Because you can never eat enough Italian, we’ll head to Bologna on Friday with this classic pasta dish. I’ll bring you the spectacular recipe later this week…let’s just say you’ll never be satisfied with Prego again.


And for dessert, an ode to my husband’s hometown: Boston Cream Pie. I once had the original version at the Parker House Hotel and although it was amazing, I don’t have the skills or patience for a recipe that involves sponge cake, pastry cream, and chocolate fondant. This easy version from The Girl Who Ate Everything is right up my alley.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...