Recipe: Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins

whole wheat blueberry muffin

I love that muffins are a way to eat cake for breakfast without feeling bad about it. These muffins, which can be made partially or completely with whole wheat flour, taste like dessert but are actually pretty healthy.

The secret ingredient is a substantial portion of buttermilk. It makes them tender and moist without requiring tons of butter (not that I don't love tons of butter). I always keep a batch in my freezer for a quick and easy breakfast on the run.

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour (or use all whole wheat; your muffins will be a bit denser)
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

Directions
Preheat the oven to 400. Grease a standard muffin tin, or line with baking cups.

Stir together the dry ingredients (flour through cinnamon) in a large bowl. Add the blueberries and stir.

In a small bowl, whisk together the vanilla, oil, and buttermilk. Add to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined (over-mixing is the death of good muffins).

Scoop the batter into the prepared pan (I like to use an ice cream scoop for this). All 12 tins will be nearly full. Bake for 15-18 until golden brown.

Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove the muffins and let them cool on a rack until you can no longer wait to eat one.

whole wheat blueberry muffins

Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour.

2 comments:

  1. These look delicious & I'm making them today! Thanks for the recipe! Muffins are my girls' favorite school snack, and mine, too, because they are so easy and healthy. Like you mentioned, I make them once a week or so & pop them in the freezer. They'll pack one for snack time, and by the time it rolls around the muffin is perfectly room temp. (I use whole wheat from my grinder, and honestly, for muffins I feel like you can get away with this. Great Harvest uses only whole wheat for theirs & I feel like ww makes muffins tastier & heartier.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need you to teach me how to use a wheat grinder. And I'd love to swap muffin recipes...everything you make is so perfectly delicious.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...