Book Report: Best Christmas Books for Kids

When I was growing up, my mom had a collection of books that she stored with the holiday decorations and only brought out at Christmas time. Each night of December, we'd pick one or two to read together under the glow of the tree lights. Pretty nice, right?

I'm working on building a Christmas library so I can carry on the tradition with Max (and on that note, do any fellow moms of heavy-machinery-obsessed toddlers have recommendations for Christmas stories featuring cement mixers and excavators?).

Anyways, here are a few of my favorite Christmas tales:

The Story of Santa Claus by Scribbler Elf

The Story of Santa Claus by Scribbler Elf
The lush illustrations in this book are so magical they’ll enchant even the most skeptical little ones. As a kid, I truly believed Scribbler Elf  penned this tale of how a man named Nicholas became Santa (especially after my mom told me that the editor was just Scribbler's American publishing partner).

The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg

The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg
Relive your childhood with this Caldecott-winning perennial favorite about a young boy swept away on a magical Christmas Eve journey.
The Wild Christmas Reindeer by Jan Brett
The Wild Christmas Reindeer by Jan Brett
I love Jan Brett’s signature Scandi style, which is at its best in this story of Teeka, who learns a valuable lesson about how to win friends (human and otherwise) as she helps train Santa’s reindeer.

The Snow Child by Freya Littledale

The Snow Child by Freya Littledale
This isn’t strictly a Christmas story, but the snowy setting and themes of hope, love, and dreams coming true make it a worthy edition to your Christmas library.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas By Dr. Seuss

How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss
“Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. Maybe Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more!” I’m sure it’s already on your list, but I’d feel irresponsible if I didn’t include this Christmas classic.

Stars Were Gleaming by Greg Olsen

Stars Were Gleaming by Greg Olsen
A beautiful tribute to the true Reason for the season. Kids will love the beautiful artwork, while you’ll enjoy the poetry, scriptures, and quotations about the Savior.

I’m sure I’ve missed some great books...what are your favorite children’s stories for the holidays?

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...