Child's Play: Turkey Handprint Place Cards

Turkey Handprint Place Card

Every Christmas Eve, I’d make place cards for dinner. They would usually feature a very artistically drawn holly leaf (you know, three berries, two leaves...a holiday classic). Even though my extended family would probably have sat in the exact same configuration with or without the cards, I loved feeling like I had a part in a grown-up affair.

I decided to start my two-year-old early in the place card making tradition. Using a fantastic idea from Kaitlin, my fellow TJB blogger, we made turkey handprint place cards. For a kid who usually isn’t very into art projects, dipping his hand in the paint was messy enough to keep his attention for the three minutes it took to do this.

But before I go any further, you must know something: I am not crafty. At all. So anytime I write about a crafty idea, you can be guaranteed it’s very easy, very straightforward, and requires almost no supplies.

Now that that’s out of the way, here’s what you need to know to make these charming little place cards for your Turkey Day feast.

You’ll need:
Gold acrylic paint (like this)
White card stock, cut into the size of your choice
Gold sharpie marker (like this)

To make the place cards:
  1. Squirt some paint onto a paper plate. (Depending on the type of paint you use, be careful to not get it on clothes and surfaces.)
  2. Have your kids dip one hand in the paint and press onto the cardstock.
  3. Let dry.
  4. Once dry, add a beak, gobble thing, and feet to the turkey handprint.
  5. Write each person’s name on a card.
Done! I love how the gold paint keeps these from looking too preschool project-y (not that I have anything against preschool projects).

Completed Turkey Handprint Place Cards

We’ll be bringing you more fun things to do with kids every week, so stay tuned. In the meantime, what are your favorite Thanksgiving crafts to do with your little ones?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...