5 Ways to Ease the Pressure

It's been a long week at our house. I do freelance work here and there and for some reason, both my regular projects have ramped up to hyper speed the past few weeks. Max hasn't really been sleeping, which means we haven't either. And my dog is driving me crazy.

Before I go on, I know these are not hard things, merely the little stressors that can make everyday life feel a bit more tiring than usual--and if not addressed, tend to drag me down. As I tried to figure out what to write about today, I started thinking about the little things that help ease the pressure for me when life gets crazy.

A Dose of Inspiration

How to make it through a long week

I read this quote on the cover of an old Vanity Fair the other day and it made me think for a moment about the beautiful things that mark even the most mundane days. While stumbling upon this quote was random, I do find that setting aside a few minutes to read something that helps me see beyond myself makes a big difference in my ability to handle stress. For me, I find the most peace in reading scripture, even if just a passage or two before bed. Here are a few of my favorite soul-soothing verses:
Proverbs 3:5-6
Isaiah 41:10
Matthew 11:28-30
John 10:10-11
John 14:27
2 Nephi 31:20

A Weeknight Dessert

How to make it through a hard day

An unexpected treat is a nice way to end a long day. Because spending hours on a confection isn't an option most nights, I love this raspberry ricotta cake from Bon Appetit. The ricotta makes it like a cross between a pound cake and a cheesecake (can't go wrong there) and the prep and clean-up time is minimal.

A Pretend Vacation

How to make it through a long week

A friend was telling me about something she read that said the happy anticipation of a trip is big part of what makes a vacation beneficial. While I'd like to actually take a vacation, flipping through a travel magazine (confession: I read a lot of magazines) or a slideshow of beautiful places helps clear my mind for a second. Try it out:
Portugal's Unchanging Alentejo Region
International Road Trips
Unlikely Destinations for Family Vacations
The World's Most Romantic Hotels
20 Cities Everyone Needs to Visit
The 10 Most Colorful Places on Earth

A Little Fresh Air

How to make it through a long week

There is not a substitute for what a good dose of old-fashioned fresh air does for me. Whether it's sitting on the porch, taking a walk, or hanging out at the park for an hour, the day just feels so much better when I spend part of it outside.

A Minute of Thanksgiving

How to make it through a long week

I wrote a while back about how journaling helps me feel more serene and that's the most true during long weeks when it's easy to get caught up in the stress and fail to see the goodness. I try to write down something each day that I'm grateful for or that made me feel the wonder in the world. A few writing prompts:
1. What relationships am I grateful for?
2. How did I see God's hand in my life today?
3. What makes me feel most happy?
4. What did I see that was beautiful today?
5. What simple pleasure did I experience today?

Since we all have our ups and downs, I'd love to know what gets your through a rough patch. How do you keep your footing during stressful times?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...