Obsession: TJ's Scone Mix

Susan: I think we should give it to Paul. 
Gabrielle Solis: He's still mourning Susan. He'll probably freak out. 
Susan: It doesn't matter. She was his wife. He deserves to have all the facts. 
Bree Van De Kamp: Well, we could do it gently. We could tell him about it over coffee and pastry. 
Lynette Scavo: That'll be fun. "Paul, we have proof your wife killed herself over some deep dark secret. Another bear claw".                          
                                                                                              - Desperate Housewives Season 1



An important lesson I learned from Desperate Housewives was to never go to someone's home empty-handed. Bree Van de Kamp was the queen of delivering fresh baked goods to new neighbors, casual gatherings and even just to spread a bit of juice gossip. (Which on the show seemed to be every day, right?) But finding time to make something worth sharing in a time crunch is tricky. Thankfully, this Trader Joe's find is the perfect solution. 

In doing my grocery shopping a few months ago, I found these Chocolate Chip scone mixes on the shelf. My kids thought they looked like cookies, so of course, several "I need cookies!" later, I grabbed a box, along with a box of the mixed berry scone mix (berries=healthy, right?) and off we went. 

A few days later, we were asked to come have a play date with a friend. I wanted to bring something over and had about twenty minutes to spare. I added water to my scone mix (seriously...water is the only ingredient you need) and popped them in the oven for about 15 minutes. Not only did they come out looking delicious, but I got rave reviews from my friends, husband and kids - a tough crowd. I, personally, favor the mixed berry version with a cup of tea. My kids still ask for "cookies for breakfast" and love the chocolate chip version. Give them a try and see for yourself how simple and delicious they are!

2 comments:

  1. I love simple and delicious. Sounds perfect for Downton Abby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect for Downton nights! What goes better with a tea party?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...