Book Report: Stories di Amore

Where to go in Italy
No place has captured my heart quite like Italy. And how could it not? Ancient ruins still glorious in their beautiful decay, a language that sounds like music, more artistic masterpieces per capita than any one country should be allowed, and the food. Oh, the food.

But this is a post about books, so I'll stop there. When I started thinking about my favorite love stories, I realized many of them are set in this place to which I'm so drawn. I'd thought I'd share three of my picks, just in time for Valentine's Day.

In these historical fiction novels, romance is a central element; however, they're also about strong women who live in turbulent times and do whatever it takes to survive. I love the way the authors manage to combine a page-turning plot with historical details that give you a little window into another world, whether ancient Rome or Renaissance Florence.

I hope these books find a place in your heart as they have in mine. Buona lettura! (which should mean "thanks Google Translator")

I Am Livia
I Am Livia by Phyllis T. Smith
As someone who dreams of Rome, I couldn't pass up a book about ancient power couple Augustus and Livia. As the wife of one of the greatest Roman emperors, Livia has spent the last two millennia with a pretty ruthless reputation. Here she finally gets her say.
I, Mona Lisa
I, Mona Lisa by Jeanne Kalogridis
Get the real story behind the famous smirk, at least as imagined by Jeanne Kalogridis, who does a wonderful job crafting a novel that captures all the grandeur, intrigue, and fanaticism of fifteenth century Florence. Be prepared for the suave yet sweet Giuliano to sweep you off your feet.
In the Company of the Courtesan
In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant
Beginning in Rome but set mostly in sixteenth century Venice, this is the story of Fiammetta Bianchini, a successful courtesan (which is definitely a prettier word for her profession than others) and her companion, a whip-smart dwarf named Bucino. The plot twists and turns as they navigate Venetian high society together, making this the perfect read for the beach (if you're lucky enough to have an upcoming getaway) or a stormy evening. I also love The Birth of Venus, Dunant's first book set in Renaissance Italy.








What are your favorite love stories, Italian or otherwise?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...