Top 10 Holiday Flicks You Can't Miss

Macauley Culkin, Green Monsters and House switching, oh my! This list is full of a little of everything that makes holiday movies so lovable. Now, everything on my top ten list is playing on TV sometime between now and Christmas (except one) so warm up your DVR's and make sure to fit in some movie nights to cross off as many of these cinematic gems as possible this holiday season. (You can multi-task and wrap presents while you watch!)

 10. Polar Express - Dec. 15th 9:00PM and Dec. 16th 6:30PM on ABC Family.
This film based on a magical train that takes children to the North Pole is my son's personal favorite. And while it's not quite as close to my heart as the book, I still love the story and beautiful illustrations come to life.


9. It's a Wonderful Life - Dec. 14th 8:00PM, Dec. 15th 6:00AM and Dec. 20th 5:00PM on USA. A true classic, this movie has made it on several lists as one of the most inspirational movies of all time. And if you've ever wondered how an angel gets its wings, you're in luck! By the end of Jimmy Stewart's journey you'll know.


8. A Royal Christmas - Dec. 11th 6:00PM, Dec. 12th 2:00PM and Dec. 15th 8:00AM on Hallmark Channel. Confession time: I love cheesy hallmark channel movies. Like, seriously love them. I've seen almost all of them and this is a good one for people who can't put up with too much corny. It's Gretchen Weiners and her intro into royalty. She should be pretty familiar - her father invented toaster strudel!


7. Home Alone - Dec. 13th 12:00AM and 2:00PM on TBS
This is one holiday movie on the list that even my husband likes to watch with me. It's one of those that takes you right back to your childhood either because you remember watching it as a kid or just love seeing the crazy antics Kevin comes up with.


6. Smoky Mountain Christmas - on YouTube*
This was one of my absolute favorite holiday movies growing up. Yikes, I know. But the story is pretty good (famous singer takes winter retreat to find orphans living in her cabin, falls in love with the sheriff, has a witch cast a spell on her...I mean it's practically a Disney movie. Just give it a try. Warning: the main song will stay in your head for weeks.


5. How the Grinch Stole Christmas - Dec. 20th 11:30AM on Cartoon Network
I know, you've probably read the book and seen the Jim Carrey version, but this cartoon telling of the Grinch is where it's at. The movie isn't too long (26 minutes) and is literally a cartoon reenactment as the original Dr. Seuess words are read by the fabulous Boris Karloff. Perfect to watch with the kids.


4. The Santa Clause - Dec. 12th 7:30PM on ABC Family
I miss Home Improvement. And Tim Allen. And watching this movie reminds me of how much I miss those things every year. It's also just such a cute story that I love. If it's been a few years since you've seen it, watch again. There are several funny references that I didn't fully appreciate as a kid.


3. The Holiday - Dec. 14th 8:00PM and 11:00PM on Lifetime
This movie ties in so many of my favorite things: London, movies, sappy love stories and does it all with an awesome cast. This is one of those movies that I'll gladly watch any time of the year but with the music and holiday tie-ins I especially love it at Christmastime.


2. Elf - Dec. 19th 8:00PM and Dec. 20th 6:00PM on ABC Family
I've probably seen this movie over twenty times and still manage to laugh out loud every.single.time. I see it. The story is so sweet and adorable and the jokes are so clever that it absolutely deserves to be watched every year. Don't be a cotton-headed ninny muggins and be sure to catch it!


1. White Christmas - Dec. 12th 7:00PM and 9:45PM on AMC
A big part of what makes this my top pick is my family. With three sisters (and a song in the movie called "Sisters") you can see why a movie with incredible singing and dancing is a non-negotiable must-see for us. And honestly, if you can make it through this the first time without shedding a tear, I'm concerned.


*I looked everywhere for this movie and could only find a single copy selling on Amazon for $200. Obviously this is just because it's sold out everywhere...(right?...) so in the meantime youtube is the only option.

Honorable mentions:
1. Love Actually; Admittedly, this is one of my absolute favorite holiday movies, but I couldn't find a showing on TV before Christmas. If I recommended the non-edited-for-TV version my mom would probably send me to my room so just...add this one to your must see list when it's on TV next year.
2. While You Were Sleeping; I love this movie. The only reason this one isn't in my top ten is because I never really considered it a holiday movie until a couple people mentioned to me that it's one of their favorites to watch at Christmas. Yes, it takes place at Christmastime but that never really seemed to stand out for me. And if we say that's a holiday movie, we have to include things like Sleepless in Seattle. You don't consider that a holiday movie too, do you?
3. Nightmare Before Christmas; This is a great one that's a lot less traditional in terms of holiday movies. I, personally, like this one right after Halloween since it mixes the spooky and Christmas together.

With so many to choose from, there are of course even more Holiday movies that I love but just didn't quite make the list. Do you have a must-see movie that's missing above? I'd love to hear what your favorite picks are!

1 comment:

  1. Elf is my absolute favorite! Don't know if you ever seen"Just friends", it's PG-13 so it's not for little ones. Also " the family man"( Nicolas Cage).
    Chad and I love to watch favorite Christmas movie while we wrap gifts. Thank you for the post!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...